Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Brokeback Mountain (4)

Put aside all the parodies and one liner making fun of's for a second and just appreciate this film.

Spectacular. I've seen it a few times before when it first came out but I went back and watched it on a whim. I'm so glad I did.

By the last scene my heart literally felt like it was being ripped from my chest. Just looking into Heath Ledgers eyes in this film caused my breath to stop. Just in his eyes alone and throughout the entire movie. Do you know how impossibly good of an actor that means he was. No words.

Match him up with Jake Gyllenhaal and wham. Explosive. Really. They balanced each other out or, when necessary, added that extra tone or look that flip an entire scene over and dropped it back down. And really, the scenes are so simple. So simple. But so powerful. The love in this film....guh.

And the story alone is gold. So strong, so pure and so raw. All at once. Fantastic to feel that much emotion in 2 hours. The best part is by the end of it you aren't even really sure why or how you can and did relate to them...but you did. At least I did.

Okay, yes, the movie can seem slow at times. I understand that. Yet for me it had an old black and white movie feel to it. It was slow but far from boring. Maybe I'm just in an extra sensitive mood today but I really think this movie deserves to stick around. I hope it does. I hope it doesn't disappear.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...