Friday, June 4, 2010

Bubble Boy (3.8)

Even though new movies come out everyday I always like to look back and watch movies that slipped past my radar over the years. I was looking for something easy to watch with some quirk and humour that I could sit back and enjoy.

Hence, Bubble Boy (2001).

Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, the easiest way to try and compare it to anything would be Blast from the Past. It had that whole sheltered boy who heads out into the world and the hilariousness that ensues.

This movie did not do well when if first came out. I severely enjoyed it. Probably a little too much. Let me try and explain why.

It's about a boy that was born without an immune system so he literally lives in a bubble that is in his room his whole life. Kids obviously didn't want to play with him and his super religious, conservative, uptight mom taught him everything he knows. Then some sexy minx moves in next door and everything changes. Once she decides to go to Niagara Falls to get married, Jimmy (Bubble Boy) realizes how much he loves her and bounces after her (literally).

Sounds super lame. I understand why a lot of people hated this movie but for me it was fantastic. There is no other movie I've ever seen that is anything like it. The characters were a bucket of personalities and quirks that made you burst out laughing with "What the fck?!" 's. Jimmy is such a pure character. Jake did a fantastic job, right down to the voice.

I just couldn't stop laughing the whole time. It is full of every wonderful stereotype, with well written stabs at certain ethnicities, religions and other deliciously prejudice profiling that makes you wonder how the hell some people believe the things they do. Sure, they did blow these way out of proportion but that just made it even more hilarious for me.

If you want something silly, quirky, unique and well...stupidly hilarious, check this movie out. You wont be disappointed. Or maybe you will be and I'm just weird and love all things weird. It's a refreshing break from your every day type of film.

3.8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...