Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2.5)

I love a good kids movie or a young teen flick to lighten my day. I also enjoy something unique and weird every now and again.

I'm not sure if I really liked the movie or not. I didn't stop watching it, but if I can make it through Obsessed (sorry Beyonce, but that is almost a 0 rating in my books) I can make it through any movie.

Let's wrap up the story Shannon style. Short and sweet.

It's about this guy who got made fun of for being a nerd when he was younger. He wanted to be a scientist and invent all this cool stuff like spray on shoes so you wouldn't trip on shoelaces. He gets older and his inventions reek havoc on his small island and he is the town loser until he makes a machine that turns water into food. This goes crazy when boosted with too much power and launches into the sky. Enter lots of food pouring down. Then too much food, a power hungry mayor, life problems via a love interest and weird father and the machine starts going crazy and the nerd guy is the only one who can save the day.

So. Okay. It was weird. I liked that...food raining down is a thumbs up. I just didn't like any of the characters. The funny parts were only snicker funny and not knee slapping. Story was thin...even for a kids film therefore the end was obvious within the first 30 minutes. I do remember shaking my head a lot, mostly at how American it felt via people stuffing their faces with really gross food and loving their lives. Kinda weird message. Not entirely addressed at the end as the problem unlike Wall-E where you get the point that being obese is not something to celebrate.

Any who, rambling again.

Summation:

Didn't get it. Could have lived my life without seeing it but wasn't a total waste of time. The characters were thin and the story was weird but not interesting to me. It was a good rainy day waste of time but I would rather have watched re-runs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Some funny parts, a few good morals shoved in there along side some delicious looking food. Yet no one but the mayor got fat. Hmmm.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...