Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Green Zone (3)

A film set in Iraq in 2003 at the beginnings of the war when USA is looking for WMD (weapons of mass destruction). Roy Miller is a man in charge of finding these weapons but after the information they're given by the higher ups land them no WMD Miller begins to question who the intel is and where are these so call WMD's? This leads him on a hunt for the truth. Question is, what will he do if he finds it?

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm getting really tired of all the American 'modern' war movies. I just feel like I've seen it all before. Corrupt government, explosions, death, generally some sort of journalist pops their head in and good vs. evil. I will say that although the explosions were less, the other bits were right in place which made it a bit boring and very easy to guess what happens next.

Matt Damon plays Roy Miller. I don't know what it is but every time I see him now all I see is Bourne. Now, don't get me wrong, every actor has that one roll they are known for and I know it's hard to get out of that rut. I just haven't seen any character change within Mr. Damon in a long time. It's like he's riding the frowning "I'm good but tough" train. I need something new to remind myself why I liked him in the first place. I mean, come on. Good Will Hunting. Hell even Dogma is a classic. Show me what you got Matt, I know you still have it.

This roll was just meh.

Two best things about this movie. Scratch that three. Brendan Gleeson (love it!). Number two, the guy who played Freddie in the movie. He was the BEST part of this whole thing. He acted better than Matt Damon and yet his total screen time was about 10 minutes. And finally the chase scenes. A lot of the time the camera was waaay too shaky. I felt sick sometimes...give it a rest guys! Geez. Yet, without all this fire and what not I found myself suffering from nervous-shaky-leg-syndrome during the last 15-20 minutes of the movie. Which means they did something right.

Ending was kinda lame. The whole "one man can change everything" bit didn't work for me in this film because it's already 7 years in the past. We know it didn't work. If it's suppose to say to us "This is what could have happened in Iraq, let's make it happen in Afghanistan" then it doesn't work either. The movie basically squashed any hopes of the "one man" dream because in the end WE know the government won.

A little backwards.

Decent. Some good scenes. Made you think about a few things along the way. I'd say your average flick.


3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...