Saturday, June 5, 2010

I Love You Phillip Morris (4)

Movie about how two people love each other through the good, the bad and the horrible, no matter the cost. Such a beautiful tale that tells a true story about real life romance, struggle and how life - not matter how hard - can be hilarious.

Ewan McGregor (Phillip Morris) was spectacular and Jim Carrey (Steve Russell) was a very convincing gay man (no, really, he rocked it!). It does help that Ewan and Jim are two of my all time favourites but not only did I believe their characters but I fell in love with them. I wanted to kiss Ewan and squeeze his cheek in his first scene.

I also generally enjoy the "based on a true story" films because it doesn't seem that far out of reach to us everyday people. I can't say I found this story particularly inspirational but I did find it entertaining, shocking and beautiful. It was less about what Jim Carrey's character does and more about the relationship between the two characters. That's what really stuck out to me. I love watching stories about people. It's always about the characters for me.

I laughed, I cried, I felt a change in me when the credits started to roll. It made me believe that, even with all my faults and mistakes, someday someone will love me for who I am. Definitely a new favourite.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...