Friday, June 18, 2010

The Last Station (3)

A film about the life of Leo Tolstoy starring Christopher Plummer, Helen Mirren and James McAvoy.

I wasn't entirely sure what exactly Tolstoy was about before this film. I have read some quotes by him and have seen his works here and there so this movie appealed to me for that reason; getting to know him. Although they definitely should of had a little more about what it means to be Tolstoyan, and a little more into Tolstoy himself, this movie focused on the relationship with him and his wife.

Helen Mirren (Sofya Tolstaya) was the other best part about this film. Her character had me from the very beginning and the acting is flawless. Match her up with Christopher Plummer who was playing her husband and the amazing Tolstoy and it's amazing. Mr. Plummer does it again by getting a character and making him breath. Just watching his facial reactions was enough for me, probably has to do with all this experience on the stage. As an aside, if you ever get a chance to see this man on stage DO IT!

James McAvoy was decent, not sure if the character himself really did it for me. I didn't feel any connection with the character but that wasn't really McAvoy's fault. His character was there to act as the go-between for Plummer and Mirren. It was amazing to see the character grow and the changes he went through. That was very well done. Also I'm not sure how much I could ever disagree with what McAvoy does because he is a dream boat (at least I'm honest).

Once again, a solid film but I didn’t feel like it taught me what it meant to be a Tolstoyan or why any of the characters decided to become Tolstoyans, but that’s not the angle they wanted to take.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...