Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Letters to Juliet (3)

I liked this more than I thought I would, even with some of the eye twitching awfulness that some of the scenes caused. If you're into chick flicks you'll love this. It's a perfectly moulded love story, actually it's a two-for-one deal.

About a girl from NY named Sophie (Amanda) that goes on a pre-honeymoon with her fiance to Verona. Here Sophie wanders the streets alone as her soon to be husband is too self absorbed and selfish so he goes off doing his own thing for work. This leads Sophie to Juliets garden (yes, the one from that Shakespeare guy) where she sees all these women righting to Juliet for love advice. Sophie finds a letter, loves it, has to write, does write, Clarie comes with Charlie, they set out finding Claries lost love, Charlie and Sophie fall for each other but she's getting married and you know the end.

Vanessa Redgrave (Claire) out acted everyone in this movie by a long shot. Even though her parts were sadly short in this film each one of them was a gem. Classic, pure acting there. Amanda Seyfried (Sophie) did her best and I enjoyed her in this movie. Nothing explosive or anything like that, she was just good. Christopher Egan (Charlie) was okay. I liked him more and more as the movie progressed. Although his change from the bad guy to the good guy was sort of random, I didn't really see the part when he decided he liked Sophie, he just, did the next scene. Strange.

The ending sucked. With a capitol S. I was actually surprised at how much I was enjoying this movie until the last 15 minutes of the film. Such a crap bunch of scenes. And that last scene was just painful. Ruined the movie. Every line was a dagger to my side. Which sucks because I had invested myself in the characters and let myself get carried away and then the climax was...not.

Classic chick flick, some good scenes, pretty decent characters but a crap ending.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...