Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes (4.5)

Hands down one of my favourite movies from 2009. Easily in the top 3. This film has everything you'd ever want...and then add Robert Downey Jr. to the mix and it's perfection.

You know the story about Sherlock Holmes. If you don't then that gives you even a greater reason to watch this movie.

I am not a fan of Jude Law. I could probably say for the record that besides Enemy at the Gates I was convinced he couldn't really act. I also never understood why so many people loved him. Now I understand. You proved me wrong in this movie Mr. Law, kudos to you. Fantastic portrayal of Watson. Couldn't have thought of anything to add to the character at all. Amazing job.

Now. Robery Downey Jr. Let's just all agree, even if you haven't seen this movie, that no one else could've played Sherlock Holmes. No one. I can honestly say that as Daniel Radcliffe IS Harry Potter, Downey Jr. IS Sherlock Holmes. Just. Amazing. So amazing.

And before people start yammering about how it wasn't like 'classic' Holmes and they like the more 'gentlemanly' Holmes...I have one thing to say about that: Did you read the books!? I have yet to see a better and more clear portrayal of these characters than in this movie. The Sherlock Holmes shown before is not Holmes. Sherlock Holmes was an asshole who did lots of hard drugs, drank, got into fights (and was proficient at it) and thrived on breaking the rules. That is the real Sherlock Holmes.

I was a little let down by Rachel McAdams role in this film, which sucks because I usually like her. I don't know what it was, maybe it was more her character that bugged me but whatever the case I wasn't feeling it. She mostly just annoyed me.

Best part by far was the fight scenes. Anytime they did that slow down and show what I'm about to do thing and then show it in real time...OHhhh ya. Bliss. That sht makes me yell out in theatres and get goosebumps. It's a beautiful thing.

All must see this movie.

End.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...