Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wristcutters - A Love Story (2)

Ugh, wish I could say I get it. I'm actually not even sure how to rate/discuss this film. It was definitely a different movie so I give it that. The characters seemed a little thin for me (I feel like I say that in every post), but maybe that was the directors choice.

I did enjoy that one character was acting as Eugene Hutz (lead singer of one of my favourite bands Gogol Bordello). Patrick Fugit was good. I'm not sure why but I always like watching him on screen. Just something about him, ever since Almost Famous.

I'll try to sum it up.

The story is about Zia (Patrick Fugit) who commits suicide after his girlfriend breaks up with him and he wakes in a desert world full of suiciders (is that a word?). He then 'lives' in this alternate, afterlife suicide world and life isn't that different. He begins meeting people and finds out his ex has also committed suicide and he goes on a mission to find her and get her back. Enter Mikal (Shannyn Sossamon) who adds a little spice and confusion to Zia's plan.

Movie about when you are looking for something you've lost you usually find something better, but would you be able to see that it is (ya, weak poetry there, but it's true).

I just. *sigh* I didn't get it. I mean, I understand and usually I dig the weird alternative stuff but this time I spent the whole movie with a frown and tried to force myself to connect to the story. I tried extra hard as one of my best pals loved it to pieces and said I have to watch it because I'd love it. I didn't.

It was different. I'll give it that. And Tom Waits is in it which was awesome.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...