Wednesday, July 28, 2010

7 Days (4.5)

The actual title is Les 7 jours du talion, a superb french Canadian film.

I am emotionally exhausted right now. I actually don't even know if I can review this right now but I will try.

About a doctor who's 8 year old daughter is raped and murdered. Her murderer is found and the father kidnaps him and brings him to a cottage where he tortures him for 7 days, finishing on his daughters 9th birthday.

At first I didn't know what to think of this film. Soon after the suspense starts and when he begins to make plans to kidnap the murderer I had never felt so satisfied. Okay, call me a sick person, but if my daughter was raped and murdered you best believe I'd love to kill the person who did it. Then he starts and it's...I watch a lot of horror and action/blood movies but I couldn't watch. I was literally gagging and had to look away. Gruesome to the point of the worst horror movie I've ever seen. It was so real too. So real. Gross.

Half way through I was so tired, just like the characters. I was emotionally traumatized. By the end I couldn't take it anymore. Just seeing his body laying there all messed up...I couldn't stand it. I think that's exactly what the director and writer was going for.

Although disgusting this movie is brilliant. I honestly...just, wow. My brain is fried so I apologize.

Claude Legault who played Dr. Bruno Hamel was amazing. Just fantastic.

If you don't have a weak stomach and even if you do and can look away while all the bad stuff happens please watch this film. It's so rare that a movie can effect me quite like this. I think I might have nightmares about what I just saw. Yet, because I felt so connected to the character, I feel like I just went through that with him and have learned something new about myself and my beliefs.

So powerful. And the ending...perfect.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...