Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Book of Eli (2.5)

A post-apocalyptic tale where a man fights his way across the US in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secret to saving mankind.

I want to start by saying that I loved the look of this movie. I liked the green/grey tint of everything, it looked stunning to me.

I was bored. It took me two days to finish this movie not only because I was bored but because of internet problems. I used to be a really big fan of Denzel Washington who played Eli. A huge fan. I haven't seen him really act differently since...well, Training Day or just before. He always has the same tone. The same look, and it makes me sad to know he's probably going to fade out. Mila Kunis who played Eli's companion Solara for the better part of the film was decent. She played the supporting role as well as she could.

Best parts were the fight scenes. They made Denzel kick some serious ugly butt in this flick. He was super badass.

It felt like Mad Max meets the Wild Wild West meets The Road. What I mean to say is that it's been done before. I didn't see or feel anything new really.

The whole thing being about the Bible kind of ruined it for me. Okay, no, completely ruined it for me. I'm sorry to say this but I personally do not believe that 30 years after everything is blown up that the Bible would be the one thing that can still save mankind. That it would be the one thing that unites us again and brings peace. I'm sorry. It's not working now and compared to Shakespeare and other classics I don't think people who wouldn't know any better would feel a powerful connection to one over the other. It just...doesn't really work for me. Sorry, I guess.

It was okay. Denzel was okay. The knife/fight scenes were awesome and so were some of the sets. I could have gone my life without seeing it though.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...