Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brick (4.5)

Movie about Brendan who gets a phone call from his ex Emily two days before he finds her body. He then begins the hunt for her murderer and to frame the people who were the cause of her death. By doing so he gets beaten, followed and comes close to death trying to find out who took the girl he loved away from him.

At first this movie started out kind of slow. I was confused a little. Then I started to really listen to the dialogue and the lingo that was being spoken was unusual and interesting. It threw me right into this world that I never knew existed and they had me from there. Then with each new character is a new twist. A new turn. A new possibility. It's been a long time since I've watched such a perfectly crafted mystery film. That's what it was really, besides amazing, it was a perfectly written and performed murder mystery.

Joseph Gordan-Levitt...just...perfect. I honestly, he just...broken my heart he was so good. I didn't even recognize him at all. His portrayal of Brendan and who he was in that world was spectacular. Him dropping the dialogue like it was his first language and him escaping all the fcked up scenarios and scenes was fantastic. I loved this character with a capitol L. He was this movie. Hands down. No one else could have played this part like he did.

This story is astounding. I really had no idea what was going to happen and even when I did and it was mostly right there was another side of it that was also true that I didn't even see. I love reading murder mystery/crime type books but generally shy away from those films because they are never good enough. I can always tell what is going to happen or the characters are masked by the plot. Not this time.

A little corky. Different. Smart. Thrill ride. With perfection from Joseph and surprise from all angles.

Oh ya, see this film.

4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Brick is easily one of my favourite movies. Top 5 for sure. Film noir story and dialogue set in a contemporary Cal high school? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...