Friday, July 23, 2010

Everybody's Fine (2.5)

An older man loses his wife and his children begin falling out of touch. After a failed attempt to have them all over one weekend Frank decides to surprise visit each of his children in the different cities they now live in. Along the way he finds that with each surprise he is unwanted and begins to realize that each of his children are not what he believed them to be.

I thought this movie was going to be a lighthearted drama/comedy but man I was so wrong. This movie is really depressing. It's super fcking sad. Not only does this man lose his wife but then begins losing his children while suffering an illness and when he goes to see them they basically turn him away while lying to his face. Then in the end the worst news imaginable is finally revealed.

The title to me is even more depressing. Everyone has problems and aren't happy but they're 'fine'. Lame.

I'm not sure what to think of this film. A lot of the mini stories seemed inconclusive or distracting. Is the movie about telephone cables and staying connected or is it about being an overbearing father? Getting old? Loss? All of them?

The movie was meh. Which sucks because it's Robert De Niro and he is awesome. Drew Barrymore is in it too and I've always liked her. Good to see Sam Rockwell play a non-creepy, almost normal role too.

I don't think I liked it. It was okay but didn't do anything for me really. Just made me depressed.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...