Sunday, July 25, 2010

Frost/Nixon (4.5)

High five Ron Howard.

About the political and life changing tapes of the interview between David Frost and Richard Nixon after Nixon resigns his presidency of the United States.

Let me just sum up the awesomeness of this film: Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Pratt, Matthew Macfadyen, and the list goes on and on. This movie is it's characters therefore this film was it's actors. Without these names, these actors, this film would have no heart and I don't think it would have been as effective as it was. Such a kickass, stellar cast. I loved seeing all these people together in one room. Beautiful.

At first I thought "how could a movie about the filming of some interview of some a**hole president really be interesting?!".

It was more than interesting. It was static. I was glued to the television. I needed to know what the next line would be. What the research was about. The fights, the money battles and the personal struggles behind the scenes of this interview. Being able to understand one tiny facial expression of a character and understand what he or she is going through. Brilliant.

I am not one to enjoy political films especially not ones so completely political as this or as American. I didn't think I was going to like it and felt I'd be rolling my eyes as they yammered on about democracy and the war...

Not at all. Completely wrong. This is an amazing film. So well organized and edited. It was like watching a boxing match. It was the first time, possibly ever, that a film made me want to listen to American politics and, more importantly, to actually care.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...