Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dorian Gray (2.5)

A man bargains his soul for eternal youth but his soul becomes a portrait of himself that he must watch decay as he stays young and corrupt. When will eternal life be long enough? Could you face your soul and recognize yourself?

I wasn't sure what to make of this movie, it slipped below my radar but I stumbled upon the trailer one day and finally got around to watching it.

I was very surprised at first. I enjoyed the main character Dorian Gray played by Ben Barnes and loved Colin Firth playing his best friend Henry Wotton. Other than that no one else really stuck out. I did find it amusing sometimes as Dorian is supposed to be the most beautiful man ever seen but I didn't find him that good looking. Sometimes because of that I found myself laughing at some of the facial expressions. Colin Firth was the gem in this flick.

I liked the story. It is, after all, based on the book by Oscar Wilde. There were some weird edits and some strange rando scenes but all in all I liked it. I enjoyed the beginning of the film way more than the ending but you can't win them all.

The painting as it decayed was scary as all hell. Just...ew.

Still not sure how I feel about the ending. Story was good, characters decent but it was lacking something. Not sure what...just needed some extra something-or-other.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...