Sunday, August 29, 2010

Funny People (3)

Adam Sandler plays George Simmons, a super famous comedian that finds out he has a life threatening disease with an 8% chance of recovery. One night he meets Ira White (Seth Rogen), a struggling comedian who is down and out. George has no one in his life so he hires Ira to help him with jokes and to take care of him while he tries to fight the disease and to put things in order before he dies.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this movie but I'm so glad I watched it. I didn't know what it was really about though until watching it but I actually enjoyed the story and the characters.

Adam Sandler is the bomb. I've said it before but I've been a huge Sandler fan for a long time and I always love his movies. There's something about his comedy that hits me the right way. I also think he is a pretty talented actor when the right role comes along and this one was no exception. Seth Rogen was awesome in this film, super good. So was Jonah Hill. Wasn't overly impressed with Jason Schwartzman but I can't say I've ever particularly liked him.

I was laughing really hard...a lot. Some of the one liners in this movie made me explode with laughter. Yes, a few scenes were weird and some of the serious ones were lacking conviction but no nearly as bad as most of the comedies that add in a sentimental twist for no reason near the end. This film handle those parts well.

I guess it was an over all decent flick. I'm not raving about it but I also laughed pretty damn hard for most of the film so I think it deserves some more recognition. I mean, a lot of it is them doing stand up. No complaints there...

...and a pretty decent story to boot.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...