Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (3.5)

I stumbled upon this movie awhile ago and finally found the time and the right mind frame to watch it.

About Miss Pettigrew, a down and out governess who finds herself out of a job. Out of panic she steals the name of her previous companies next employer, Delysia Lafosse. Upon arrival at her flat Miss Pettigrew is immediately thrown into a whirl wind of adultry, betrayal, confusion and cocktail parties. She needs the cash but she also needs her conscience if she is going to make it through the day. by the end there is no telling who really needs whom.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this film. I am a fan of the old black and white movies so this sort of setting and tone had me intrigued. I immediately took a liking to the wonderful Frances McDormand who played Miss Pettigrew. She was fantastic. As soon as she entered the shot I was glued to her. I was so proud of Amy Adams who played Delysia Lafosse. I started to lose sight as to why I liked her but this movie reminded me why. She is just so much fun and...I don't know, there's just something about her that I enjoy watching on screen.

The story was good. I can't say it was my all time favourite love story but maybe that's why I was so interested in it. It was different. It wasn't anything amazing or shocking it was just one day.

You have to keep in mind that the movie is set in the 1940's so the love doesn't make much sense and people are getting married when barely knowing the other persons name. I wonder if it was actually like that? That when you got that beginning feeling of a crush that you immediately wanted to spend your whole life with that person.

Best part was the first time Miss Pettigrew meets Delysia Lafosse. 'Nough said.

All that aside it was a good, entertaining and different-ish film that I really enjoyed watching. Something light with a happy ending before calling it a day. Can't complain about that.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...