Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mysterious Skin (3.5)

"A teenage hustler and a young man obsessed with alien abductions cross paths, together discovering a horrible, liberating truth."

Thought the imdb summary was better than my own. This movie just has too much going on and I didn't want to spoil anything because it's another one of those films where it's better to not know anything.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the writing but I loved the story. By loved I mean I am morally wounded and mentally bruised by the awfulness that is the story but I liked how they held nothing back. They just told it how it is, which was nice. I enjoy when films don't let the audience off easy.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was...I have no idea how he did a role like that. He basically plays a teenaged, gay prostitute. Lots of no clothes, lots of weird sex and lots of awful, awful things. I was literally pulling my hair because of the stress some of his scenes caused me. Crazy man.

I also enjoyed Michelle Trachtenberg even though she wasn't in the film that much. I've always liked her. Brady Corbet was a cute addition that was sort of lingering around but then had two pretty explosive scenes that really surprised me.

Really awful but good story with some crazy scenes that most films that try to touch on this subject would shrink in horror at the thought of filming. With that said I still feel like this movie was missing something. When the end came I was moved but still wanted something else...not sure what.

Big high fives for all.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...