Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Serious Man (2)

I'm trying so hard to figure out why so many people loved this movie and why it did so well via critics and the Oscars. Maybe I just didn't see the big picture and maybe, no offense, you have to be Jewish to understand what is going on. I don't know.

About a middle aged teacher who's life is nothing special. Soon everything begins to go wrong and there seems no end in sight for the chaos he begins living. Brothers sick, estranged children, money woes, wife wants a divorce, no one will help him, challenges at work, etc. He tries to seek help but no one is giving him any helpful advice. Maybe everything will just work out...

I've seen so many films like this. Obviously not exactly like this but I wouldn't say I've watched many Jewish heavy films in my time. I just felt like this was nothing new or special. Actually, I was 80% bored. I never laughed. I didn't find anything funny about this 'black comedy'. His pain was legitimate and I have no idea who would find watching this man fall apart remotely funny.

It was boring and sad. It was so normal and so realistic that I would rather have not watched it at all. Not a single character got me involved in the story. Yes, life is full of ups and downs but a movie needs a little something more to it in my opinion.

Maybe I missed the "big picture" or something. I'd love for someone who liked this film to explain it to me. I was holding my breath hoping the ending would solve my confusion but actually it was such a random ending that I returned to my "what?!" mind frame.

*shrugs* Watch it if you want, I guess.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...