Saturday, September 18, 2010

Black Swan (4.5)

"A thriller that zeros in on the relationship between a veteran ballet dancer and a rival." (imdb)

I disagree with that entirely. To me that wasn't what the film was about...that was a small portion of it but to me this film is about a persons struggle with success. The fear of failure and the desire to be perfect. Also, what these things do to weaker people or people who thought they could handle themselves and deny when they've lost control. Basically, to me, it's a snap shot of how there is a black swan in all of us. The one who wants to win, seduce, be perfect, be beautiful and be important. But you have to give up so much to get these things...sometimes, you even have to give up yourself in the process.

'...the only thing standing in your way is yourself.'

This film has so many layers, at least it did to me. The more I try to explain it or grasp the meaning the more meanings and possibilities I find. Fantastic. My mind was fcked, I could barely speak once the credits rolled.

Natalie Portman. You are a GODDESS. The Queen of Queens. What you showed me tonight was so pure and so raw that I thought I was going to be sick. I have no idea how you do what you do but please, please keep slapping me in the face with this talent. So bold and so beautiful. And the dancing?! I loves you!! I think I have a womance going on with you now...

I was delightfully surprised by Mila Kunis who plays a fellow dancer. I can't say I ever really liked her until this film. She was just...good. She was really good. High five!

There are too many reasons why this movie was so awesome. To me, it hit me somewhere deep...somewhere really personal and it kept me their the whole time. The visuals, dancing, music, etc where fantastic. The story itself is so simple when you boil it down but it had so many layers and room for your own personal take on it which made it even stronger. Characters were fantastic.

The best part: the way you watch the character fall apart. How you see her start to lose control. The different ways they portrayed that was amazing. The thought that went into this film astounds me.

I could keep going but I will stop here. At first I didn't know what to think, then it got interesting before quickly getting ugly, then turning dark and evil with a final and beautiful line that ends the film.

A must see. For many reasons. Go and see it and find your own.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...