Saturday, September 18, 2010

Make Believe (3)

"A coming of age journey set in the quirky subculture of magic, this film follows six of the world's best young magicians as they battle for the title of Teen World Champion." (imdb)

I wasn't sure how they would organize this film but it was actually pretty good. I will be honest here and say that some of the teenagers that they decided to follow were not my most favourite people. In fact, if I were one of those kids I would have been a little embarrassed about what the decided would make the film and what wouldn't. Some of the things these people said were just...face palm worthy. Mind you, yes, they are teenagers. Still though...sometimes I was annoyed/confused with what they thought was important for us to hear.

The magic was super cool. I am happy to say that my favourite kid ended up winning the Championship! That made me super happy because he was the most interesting but these kids train every day for hours to do these tricks. I gotta give them all a big high five for that. So talented and so enthusiastic about magic. I never really looked at it the way they do until this film. I know have a totally different perception when it comes to magic.

I like this film because it didn't try and be smart or change your life but to show you how magic changed and was still changing their lives (the kids). I liked that take on it. I also thought though that because of that some scenes were messy and had no business being there. I suppose I don't entirely agree with the way they edited and organized their footage. That's just me though...

Can't say it was anything super special but I doubt there are many if any magic documentaries about teenagers and their struggles so something should be said for that. The general audience loved this film, I was not so entirely convinced...still interesting.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...