Saturday, October 16, 2010

Martyrs (4.5)

A French horror film from 2008. This movie will scar you for life.

A girl is kidnapped and torchered when she is younger but somehow escapes. She spends the next 15 years trying to recover while secretly trying to find the people that had done this to her. When she does...blood. Yet, just when you think the story is done, a completely new plot begins to emerge and evolve...one that you just didn't see coming. Or wanted to.

I don't scare easily like I've said before. I enjoy a good gore film here and there but generally laugh at the effects because it is so rare to find a horror film where the story and the gore are realistic and work together. This film had that. They did it so well, almost too well.

Some scenes I had to look away. I have a very vivid imagination and sometimes it can be dark but even this was too much sometimes. It just...ugh...and they show everything. Disgusting. I felt sick at times.

Suspense. Story. Thriller. Horror. Gore. Emotions. Acting.

Fantastic.

I still cannot believe how good this movie was. Not even as a horror film but just as a film. Amazing.

Don't see this if you don't like blood/awful torcher type things. Eek.

Still don't know how I feel about the very, very end though. Still haven't decided if it worked or not...

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...