Saturday, November 27, 2010

Everything is Illuminated (4.5)




A 2005 directorial debut for Liev Schreiber, based on the novel by the same title by Jonathan Safran Foer.

A young jewish man loses his grandmother and realizes that he never really knew his grandparents, especially their lives before they immigrated to America from Ukraine. He enjoys collecting things, specifically family artifacts, so he decides to go to Ukraine to discover his families past and add to his collection. He in lists the help of a local named Alex who ends up being beyond eccentric. What Jonathan finds on his journey he will never forget.

This is one of my all time favourite movies. This is also one of my all time favourite books/authors. The book is amazing. It's different than the movie but together they are double fantastic. If you like the movie please read the book, it will answer some questions and vice versa.

Big Elijah Wood fan. He is amazing in this role. I really, really, really liked him throughout the entire movie. This is another film that I have no idea who else would have played Jonathan if Elijah had not. The movie would've been ruined...maybe not ruined, but definitely not as good. Such a good actor. Love it.

Eugene Hutz who plays Alex and just so happens to be the lead singer of one of my life favourite bands Gogol Bordello (check it out, they're so good) was amazing. I am always surprised at how well he can act. Don't ask me why. It's not like it's the first time a singer is also an actor, but he was extra impressive. Once again, no idea who else could have played Alex. He was even better than Elijah in this movie and for me to say that is the biggest of big deals. Double thumbs up. So hilarious.

I think Liev did a wonderful job of getting this movie just right. It was his first movie as a director but you wouldn't of been able to tell. At least I couldn't. Hat tip to you good sir.

The dog was amazing. I love that dog. I want that dog. And Alex's grandpa...fantastic character. Brilliant. So hilarious.

Well written. Well adapted. Amazing characters. Hilariousness to the max. The story is beautiful. I cried for sure, a lot. The balance and flow from one emotion to the next is flawless. I love this film.

Love it.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...