Tuesday, December 28, 2010

127 Hours (4.5)



Based on the true story of Aron Ralston, the mountain climber who gets trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah for 127 hours.

I had wanted to see this film since I first heard it was happening. I've been a fan of Danny Boyle (director) ever since Slumdog Millionaire. I've been a fan of James Franco ever since, well, ever. I tried to go see it at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) but it was sold out before I could blink. It was worth the wait though. Oh boy, was it ever.

I love any adventurer story. Into the Wild is another ultimate favourite of mine, if you end up liking this film (which you should) I highly suggest you check it out. The book is great as well. Anywho, I love all stories like this one. There is just something about raw survival that heightens the senses and inspires you; gets your blood flowing. This film did that and then some. Right from the very first shot I was in. I was in it. They had my full attention and they kept it right until the credits.

James Franco, you're amazing. I don't know how he did it, but he really really did it. I felt so connected and on the roller coaster with him. Any little change in expression I was there with him, mirroring his emotions from the audience. Fantastic.

I can definitely compare the suspense to Buried. It was such a ride. I think I started to get a cramp in my arm from being tense for so long. The close up shots and the very well done and synced music definitely helped with that. Sometimes the music effected me more than the visuals, which is always a treat.

The big scene which I'm sure you have all heard of by now was super gruesome. Not for the light of heart, yet I have seen worse. That shouldn't calm you down that much though seeing as I've seen some really horrific horror/slasher/rater super R films that make you lose sleep. Still, it could've been worse but I'm glad they had it the exact way they did. Any less or any worse would've ruined the whole thing I think because the rest of the story would have paled in comparison to this one "big" scene. Still crazy though. Gives me the shivers.

Best scene was when he starts talking about how his whole life and the rocks entire life was set up for this to happen. That it was fate or destiny or whatever you want to call it. That was amazing. I got pretty emotional, well, more than I already was at that moment. They way the set that whole part up was really well done. It gave me chills. There were a few others scenes like that too that had me thinking harder than was required about my own life.

Great story. The fact that it really happened makes it even more intense. Amazing performance by James Franco with great directing by Danny Boyle. Good music and all the rest. Yup, easy to say that this is a film that you don't want to let slip by you. Go out and watch it. The horrific scene shouldn't keep you away, it's worth the grimaces and tears.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...