Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The King's Speech (5)




The story of King George VI of Britain and his surprising ascension to the throne and the speech therapist who helped him get there.

Watching movies like this makes me disappointed to see movies like Little Fockers and Yogi Bear(which mind you, I haven't seen yet, but really...come on) owning the box office while such a astounding and once in a life time film like this sort of hides under the lime light. So sad. This is a masterpiece. Every little bit of news you have heard about this film is true. It is such an amazing story with extremely impressive performances and perfect comedy to top it all off.

Colin Firth, I heart you so much. I respect your choice in keeping to where your audience likes to see you, in the romantic type films, while leaving yourself some room to grow in movies like A Single Man. Yet, seeing you play something so perfectly, so intensely beautiful as this makes me want to shake you and kiss you at the same time. You really are an amazing actor. I don't care what anyone says. I watched A Single Man and thought you were at your prime but no, you were just getting started. This is the best performance of yours to date. Hands down. Thank you very much.

Not only was Mr. Firth at his extreme, ultimate high but then here comes Geoffrey Rush. What an amazing supporting role. So well done. There were scenes with him and Colin that took my breath away. Seeing these two on their own is one thing but when they were in one shot together...it was so powerful. I can't even explain it. They made this film what it is. They really did. Without one or the other it wouldn't have been as fantastic. I hope they work together again soon...

It was good to see Helena Bonham Carter in a role like this as well but even with her good performance she just didn't shine as much as Rush and Firth.

The story is really good. I know you might tell yourself that you're tired of all the royalty stories and gossip but this movie isn't like what you think it is. No. Not at all. They humanize the family more than in any other film I have ever seen. They were just people with extra ordinary problems. I loved that. They don't actually spend that much time at all focusing on them in that way, which was a nice break from your everyday royal family tale.

Best scene: the swearing one. You'll know what I'm talking about. I haven't laughed like that for a long time. Actually, this film was full of moments like that which really surprised me. I never thought it would be as hilarious as it was. Moments filled with honest, every day, sarcastic humour. Fantastic. I was laughing my ass off.

I liked how they added in some personal stories about King George IV, ones that I had never heard of before. Some really sad true stories from his childhood that made me really latch on and connect to the character. I was teary eyed for a few parts. The speech at the end was all the more powerful because of it. Not only is it a King leading his people through hard times, but it was an everyday man over coming himself, his fears and humility. Strong stuff. Very moving.

I want to give this a 5/5...there was some slowness at the beginning that had me worried, but then it was necessary in order to set the characters and the reality of the whole thing before diving into the butter of the story. So. I guess...

5/5

1 comment:

  1. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Website? Create an account and find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...