Monday, January 31, 2011

Brazil (4)




The 1985 Sci-Fi/Fantasy film that just so happens to be an important member of the Criterion Collection. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, basically it means that any movie that is groundbreaking, cinema altering, one of a kind and basically a must see before you die film it is accepted into this collection. It basically means that you must see it for one reason or another.

A government worker in the future begins having dreams about the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. Through a series of events, he ends up finding this woman in real life and his life is forever altered as he himself becomes an enemy of the state and must fight to survive.

Everyone is in this movie. Every scene I keep saying "Oh man it's that guy!" Or, "Hey, it's that chick!". So insane how many people: Ian Holm, Robert De Niro, Jonathan Pryce, Bob Hoskins, Jim Broadbent, and the list goes on and on.

Robert De Niro totally solidified this film was awesome. His character was so strange and so amazing that as soon as I saw him I was loving life. He isn't even in this movie was much as I wished he could be, but the small parts are amazing.

This is definitely a sci-fi film. I feel like if you don't like the genre then you are most likely not going to find very much to like about Brazil. Especially the dream sequences, that was the only part of the movie that was so out there that I was a little but bored when watching them. Strange angel fighting some cement guy...weird. I'm sure there's some deeper meaning going on their that I would have caught if I were educated in film but I obviously missed it.

Other than that this movie was suspenseful, entertaining, creative, a little bit dark and a little but hilarious.

For me, it was a little but of everything I love about movies slammed together into one awesome script with some amazing performances and enough imagination to suck me right in.

I completely understand and agree with it being in the Criterion Collection.

4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...