Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Fighter (4)




Based on the true story of the early years of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward and life, mainly with his brother who helped train him before going pro in the mid 1980s.

I had heard nothing but amazing things about this film. I generally enjoy the classic boxer story, rags to riches type of thing. Mostly they are all the same though and follow roughly the same plot but this one looked a bit different. It definitely was different. It was more of a drama than any sort of fighting/sports film. Sort of a nice surprise.

The star of this film is not Mark Wahlberg who plays Micky, but it was all about his brother played by Christian Bale. Mark was good, he was his usual self. Not overly amazing but not awful to watch. Bale though was amazing. His performance reminded me of him in the film The Machinist (really messed up movie but definitely different from anything you have ever seen). It was great to see because I'm not normally a huge Bale fan. Don't get me wrong, I love him in the Batman flicks, but he hasn't really impressed me. This was close. He was the spotlight for sure.

The movie just seemed to be missing something. It wasn't as mind blowing or inspirational as everyone was talking it up to me. It was good, it really was, but it wasn't anything I would tell people to rush to the theatre to see.

I think it was because they were really focusing on his family and the people he had relationships with rather than really getting into Mickey himself. I liked that, it was a nice change but because of that I felt a little unconnected from everything that was going on. Was nice to get to know the supporting characters and what not but they kept too great of a distance from the main character for me to get totally sucked into his story.

Still a great story. His family is ridiculous, especially his sisters. Crazy people. It was pretty funny to at parts. The fights were nothing amazing but some shots were really well done.

Amy Adams was a bonus too.

Check it out but there's no reason to rush. Bale was amazing, Mark definitely carried his own and the story is something worth seeing.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...