Monday, January 17, 2011

Lady Vengeance (4)




Original Korean title: Chinjeolhan Geumjassi, alternate title: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005).

A women is sentenced to 13 years in prison after she is accused of kidnapping and murdering a 5 year old boy. When she finally get outs she begins speaking of a master plan. It seems everyone is in on her plan except the one person it is all about. How long could you wait for vengeance?

I read that this film was a must see foreign film of the decade (well, last decade I guess now). I had put it on my to watch list but could never find it. Thank you Netflix, you're really shaping up these days!

I was super confused at first. In fact, there was never a moment when I fully 100% grasped everything that was going on. I got the full story, I understood what the main plot and outcome were but some of the characters and parts of flash backs had me confused. The ending too, I get it...but I don't at the same time. I feel that way about this entire film. It's in a good way though. In the way that, now that I have the story down, that I want to go back and watch it for all the characters. There are a lot of characters.

The movie meant almost nothing to me for the first half. I had no idea where it was really going or what and who everything was. Really mixed up. I was almost fighting it in order to figure out what was going on. I wish now that I had just sat back and let the story work its way out, because it will, you just have to be patient.

The last half of this film is golden. So fantastic (want to swear here in order to make my point stronger, but I'll hold back). When this movie comes together it really comes together. I don't want to say anything more because it really depends on you not knowing it is going to happen.

Acting was great on all parts. Some things are violent and quite gross, they don't hold back that's for sure. It's not a horror, it's not really a thriller even, but it has elements of both those genres. In the end I feel this was a cold, hard drama. With blood.

The script is crazy, I wonder how long it took to write because every little line, character, prop and the scenes they are in had to happen at exactly the right time and in exactly the right way. Craziness to think how perfect it all is. The more I think about it the more my brain sizzles. I love it. I love that I still am asking questions even after the credits rolled.

A little hard to follow, sort of confusing but trust me when I say that it's worth the ride. Just sit back and try not to think too much about it. The ending is flawless. I understand now why it was on the top 10 foreign films of the decade.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...