Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shutter Island (4)




Following an investigation of a disappearance of a patient from a mental hospital on an island. Nothing is as it seems...

Martin Scorsese is a mastermind. I have yet to met anyone who hasn't liked at least one of his movies. Historically, it's almost impossible to take a film course or discuss pop culture without his name popping up. Recently, he has made amazing films like The Departed and Gangs of New York and has recently been involved in the fantastic new television series The Boardwalk Empire (which you should definitely watch if you haven't yet). This movie definitely holds true to the Scorsese feel. There is a certain feel with all of his movies, and this one is no exception. It's a good feeling, sort of a personal vibration...I hope you know what I mean. It's cool though, he has that trademark about him. You know when it's his film.

Leonardo DiCaprio is fantastic in this role. To be honest, it wasn't anything ground breaking in my opinion, but it was still a solid performance. I can't help but be a fan, I really can't. Especially since Inception. Every so often he has amazing performances and then does a few fun films that break even and then he breaks through again. Quite an amazing career and amazing talent when you go and look through his resume. This as not my favourite of his performances but once again, it was fantastic. I just know he can do better that's all...

Another fantastic thing about this film is Mark Ruffalo. I have been a fan of his for years now, he always pops up here and there and I love watching him every single time. This film was no exception. He was great as a supporting actor next to Leo. He was beyond fantastic in both The Brothers Bloom and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

This story is really intense and I was easily sucked into the plot. I myself was not so shocked by the surprise twist in the story, but that's just me. It was still amazing though when it happened. I liked the whole idea of this film, about mental illness and how intensely someones world can be shaped by it. Also how grief can play tricks on you.

Definitely loved how no matter what side you took, by the end of this film you couldn't help but want to talk about it. Was it this, or was it that? A good movie always leaves you no choice but to discuss and debate after the credits roll. I remember talking about this movie for weeks and weeks. It was being discussed everywhere I went. That's pretty epic.

Great story. It's not an easy view though, you have to pay attention. It's not super confusing unless you stop paying attention, but in order to get the most out it it's great to dim the lights and allow yourself to get sucked in. The look and feel of this movie shouldn't make that too difficult. Also, it jumps right into it. I love when movies do that. Prologues are over rated sometimes.

Over all great film. It's definitely in my must see movies of 2010 list.

4/5



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...