Wednesday, January 12, 2011

True Grit (4)



A 14 year old girl finds out her father was killed and heads to the town to try and track the killer down. When the law wouldn't help her she decides to hire the toughest bounty-hunter there is, someone with true grit. She may get more than she paid for.

If you haven't seen the original film with the one and only John Wayne in it then you best go and do that, either before or after. The two movies are different enough that nothing will be spoiled for you. That being said, the story was still there and intact but it moved a little easier than the old time Westerns and Jeff Bridges was more entertaining than John Wayne (for obvious reasons like me not being 80 years old).

Jeff Bridges (see also, TRON: Legacy) did a fantastically flawless job of playing Rooster, the bounty hunter. He was perfect in every way. His physicality and ton and even his little, bearded smirk was exactly what I was wanting. Him acting drunk at any moment was hilarious. He really added some much appreciated comedy. It was almost too easy to giggle at him, either cracking jokes at the other characters or trying to dismount and falling all over the place, he was constantly hilarious. Funny, yet it didn't take anything away from this badass character. You have to see it to understand. Even him just looking a certain way made you know he was the character 100%. I love when that happens.

I actually loved Matt Damon as LaBoeuf. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about him when I first heard he was going to play the part. He really impressed me. I thought this role was perfect for him and it was nice to see him in a non-Jason-Bourne/Green Zone type roles for a change. He impressed me even more than he did in Invictus. That guy can act when he wants to.

Josh Brolin wasn't even really in this movie so...he was good though, he was only in it for about 10 minutes so I don't have much to say.

Biggest of big surprises was Haille Stienfeld who played the girl, Mattie Ross. She stole the show. Stealing the show from Jeff Bridges is not an easy thing to do, but somehow she did it. I mean it, you cannot take your eyes off of her when she is in frame. When she speaks, you listen. Such an amazing and shocking performance. She nailed it. So perfect. Where did this girl come from?! Who knows, but I'm glad she did. Best part of this film for sure!

There were some times that I found the scene fades/overlaps and weird "horse back riding with obvious greenscreen action" parts (even though there are very few) distracting and unnecessary sometimes. I know that this is keeping with the Western style, but I felt that with everything else being new and shiny that they could've spared the old tricks. It was nothing major, I just noticed it which means I was distracted which means it took away from some of a scenes.

The story is great. The horses and guns and all that good stuff was awesome. It was nice to see a film like this, it's been a loooong time since a good Western came out. Yes, the story isn't new but it is anything but a remake. This movie holds its own. You can believe everything you've heard, it is that good. Solid.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...