Monday, February 21, 2011

The Money Pit (3)



(Watch the Trailer)

A young couple moves into their dream home only to have it fall apart before their eyes.

First off I just want to say, God bless 80's soundtracks. That had me laughing before anything even started. Ohh, the good old days.

I love Tom Hanks. He can not do any harm. I have liked him in every single movie I have ever seen him in. I cannot say that for any other actor to date. How can you not love him when he can go from movies like Catch Me If You Can to Toy Story and still impress you. I am slowly going back and watching his old comedies and I really, really like him in them. I liked his character in this movie and I laughed at him the hardest the entire time. Without Hanks this movie would have totally sucked. Him and his little shorts...haha.

Shelly Long was great with Hanks. I think they worked really well as an on screen couple and she usually fueled his more hilarious moments in the film.

Best parts: him running up the stairs, the bath tub and when he is covered in paint and that whole scene with the scaffolding.

Genius humour. I made the mistake of taking a sip of water just before the stairs scene and I LITERALLY spit it back into my cup because I was laughing too hard and started to choke. That does not happen as often as I want it too. So good.

While this movie had it's amazing parts the rest of it was flip-flop. Some scenes were good, the next it was awful and I had no idea why they were there. Like, what the hell is with her weirdo, Fabio style ex boyfriend?! That is just ridiculous and not funny. His whole dad thing could have been cut completely out in my opinion. I don't know, too many parts of the story just didn't have to be there at all.

The ending is lame. That's the story with most comedies so it wasn't a big surprise.

I still loved watching this movie. That 80's, 90's comedy just doesn't happen anymore. Some of the set ups in this were priceless. I just couldn't believe it. Instead of one liners like most comedies this was an amazing example of what I shall dub the build. It started and you were giggling but then some thing more happen and you were laughing but then it would keep expanding on it until you are slapping your knee and spitting water all over the living room.

Amazing.

Oh, and did I mention Tom Hanks?

3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...