Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Secret in Their Eyes (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

Original title: El secreto de sus ojos, a 2009 Argentina film by Juan José Campanella.

A retired man begins writing a novel about a case he worked on 25 years earlier when employed as a legal counselor. Bringing up the past is rarely a good idea, unless in doing so it reveals the truth not only to you but for someone else.

Another film that has been on my "to watch" list for some time. I couldn't find a copy with subtitles but luckily Netflix delivers once again.

My brain is a little bit exhausted right now because it was such a full story. It was raw and real and definitely hit home several times. I find it a little funny that the main character is writing a novel and that's exactly what I feel like I just finished; a novel. Not a film. I have the same intense brain overload and pure satisfaction like you get when you read that last sentence on the last page of a book. Fantastic.

Everything about this movie is amazing. Not only is the ending amazing, but there were so many intermittent climaxes that left you no choice but to be completely sucked into the story. You will especially love this movie if you like crime/mystery/detective type films. It was really well done, the writing alone is amazing.

Such a solid movie. I don't even know what else to say because it was just over all good. The acting, directing, script, music, everything...fantastic. I could see how people would start to lose interest after about half way through when their is what seems like the climax but it's not and then the story slows a bit. Only for about 15 minutes though, but it needed to happen or else you would explode. The ending was great, I didn't see the very ending coming until the very end. I knew other parts were going to happen and then bam, something new was added in on top of it and I was sucked right back in.

Solid film. Enough layers to keep you guessing with enough twists to keep you on your toes. One of the best of this genre I have seen in some time.

4.5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...