Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Battle: Los Angeles (2.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

Meteors crash at different points off of coast lines around the world, but no one's prepared for what will happen once they land. Now it's up to one team to win back their city...and the world.

I actually liked this movie more than I thought I would. Take being said, I thought it would be the worst piece of crap movie out there so really it was a classic sci-fi action flick.

Aaron Eckhart plays the main character and even though I loved him in The Dark Knight I could not help but be overly annoyed with him the entire movies. I know you're sad and I know you're a marine but you could show more than one expression on your face over a 2 hour time slot. Come on. I'm sure that was mostly the directors decision, but I need more spice in your character to feel remotely interested in his survival...didn't get that.

Everyone else was decent enough. I will admit that I loved watching Michelle Rodriguez but I've always liked her, not entirely sure why, but compared to everyone else she seemed to actually be in the movie and not just acting for the movie.

I can't help but compare alien invasion movies to District 9 but it makes for an easy comparison because it doesn't compare at all. I wasn't invested in any singular character. Any emotional scenes were destroyed buy action-style camera work that threw any feelings out the window and then if that wasn't bad enough they had to ruin all hopes of seeing anything with a heavy dose of close-up shots of peoples faces. They didn't give the audience a second to sit and absorb what was happening, they thrust you in and jiggle you around and then toss you back out at the end leaving you with a confused expression.

Besides being over run with close-ups and shaky action camera shots, I will say that I liked the design of the aliens. Their machinery was pretty cool. And while the action was all over the place it was still entertaining and even though I spend a good amount of time rolling my eyes I'm still glad that I watched it. These types of films are written to reflect our current state in the world; it reflects our wars against ourselves. Instead of water, it's oil. This movie is so American in every way but at times I couldn't tell which side they were on - America or the other guys. Sometimes they were so stereotypical Americans that I was disgusted with all of them.

Who knows. All I know is that if you like these kind of movies, if you found humour in 2012 or The Day After Tomorrow or any apocalypse/sci-fi/action flick you will probably enjoy this movie.

2.5/5



2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I love apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stuff, but it needs to have some sort of connection for me. What does it say that I found Resident Evil more plausible that 2012? Been wondering about this one - love the posters, but I think I might wait for it to show up on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably a safe bet, don't let it slip past you though; it's worth the watch. Only plus side of going to the movies is that action movies are always better the bigger and louder they are! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...