Monday, March 7, 2011

Crash (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

A movie about racism in LA, the story revolves around the lives of a group of interlocking people. You never really know who a person could be, especially when all you see is what makes them different than you.

Directed by Paul Haggis this movie won Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay and Best Editing at the 2005 Oscars.

This is a fast paced, intense film. There isn't a calm moment in the entire movie as it shifts from one heartbreaking story to another with very interesting connections between characters slowly being shown and building on one another. I can definitely see why this won the Oscar for Best Screenplay, it deserved it. The amount of thought, passion and foresight gone into this script astounds me.

The acting over all was pretty amazing. I mean, the cast is amazing: Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, William Fichtner, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, etc. I can say that the over all story is what held my attention so it could have been that I just wasn't paying close enough attention as all the performances were only there to support this amazing script. Still, that being said, there wasn't once that I rolled my eyes at any one character, on the contrary I found myself tearing up over a few of their stories. Takes a lot for me to cry in a movie so I obviously felt connected to some of the people.

This movie is extreme though, it will make you angry, sad and depressed but also wake you up a little but out of that beautiful shell that most of us keep ourselves in. These things are still happening - racism is not going away, and the more we pretend that it isn't a problem in this "modern" day and age in North America makes it even stronger in our everyday lives.

I loved this movie because it looked at every type or person - all races, classes and sexes. I thought that the transitions from scene to scene were flawless and the stories and the characters that they were about raw and powerful.

Over all it left me with a message that I never really thought of with any amount of depth: that we are all victims and we also create victims without even knowing it. This movie will make me pay more attention to how I treat the people I may never see again...

4.5/5

(FYI: This movie is not to be confused with the 1996 film by the same title which is all kinds of messed up in terms of plot that I cannot say it was even particularly good)



3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? Cronenberg's Crash is one of my favorite movies EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for me, that's silly. hahaha. I am allowed to like different movies than you silly face and I do love Cronenberg. Suck it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all good. You have every right to dislike what are clearly the best movies ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...