Sunday, March 27, 2011

Exit Through the Gift Shop (4)



(Watch the Trailer)

A man obsessed with filming everything is introduced to the underground world of street art and becomes addicted to filming everything he can about it. He travels the world following these artists until the only person he hasn't captured on film yet is the one man no one knows; Banksy. Possible the most famous street artist, Banksy never shows his face but the filmer finally meets him. What happens after that seems almost too ridiculous to be true...

Banksy is amazing. If you don't know who that is I want you to go to Google and type his name in and click enter and enjoy. Definitely one of the most, if not the most, famous street artist in the world right now. No one knows what he looks like or how to get a hold of him but he is out there changing the face of art. I honestly don't know if this movie is true or not or if it's a joke Banksy wrote and then the film guy in it is just an actor or what not...who knows.

This was not at all what I thought it was going to be able. It's much less a documentary about Banksy and much more a documentary about art in general, especially street art and modern art in present day.

I had no idea street art had become what it is now. I loved watching this movie first and for most to see how these artists get their work up all over the world. Fantastic, so much passion and talent and adventure...really cool world to be able to glimpse.

When the film finally gets to its big turning point, when the filmer becomes the art...that's when it gets so ridiculous that I couldn't even believe it. I was laughing all over the place but then would quickly frown and not be able to laugh because it was sad what was happening...it really was sad. But this guy, Thierry, the film guy, is honestly one of the most interesting and messed up people ever. You wont even believe what happens...what he does in this movie...Crazy!

It's just sad what he does to art. It's upsetting. I was honestly mad by the end of this movie...but maybe that was the point.

Like I said, I loved being able to see the cusp of the street art world. Really cool stuff is happening right now in that movement. I liked the ridiculousness of Thierry, I enjoyed meeting the street artists, I liked the art...but then it turned so whack and messed up and just kind of upsetting.

I guess in the end it was an amazing movie but I honestly wanted to see more about street art and less about Thierry. That was the only thing; after awhile I was tired of that nutjob and wanted to see some art. Maybe that was the point though. If you like art you should really watch this though.

Banksy is the bomb. It's just a fact of life.

4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...