Monday, March 21, 2011

The Tourist (3.2)



(Watch the Trailer)

A woman sits with a man on a train and she invites him back to her hotel. They kiss goodnight and she sleeps alone in her room. When he wakes up in the morning suddenly people are trying to kill him because they think his name is Alex. Who is Alex? Who is the woman from the train?

I am a huge Johnny Depp fan and a less than huge Angelina Jolie fan. I will say this though, I think this movie was the first hint of trying that I've seen on Angelina's face in terms of acting in awhile...too bad those hints lasted less than a second and secondly that Johnny Depp played a character I have never seen him play before: a less blindingly brilliant one. Together they almost equalled themselves during some scenes but ultimately no one can really out shine Depp on screen. It's like trying to fight a polar bear for a seal; not gonna happen. You will lose. No matter how skinny, pretty or skanky you are.

I can't say I overly enjoyed Depp's character but I will say that any time I did laugh, which was surprisingly a lot for a supposed action/drama movie, that it was because of him. I have no idea how he does it but he can change the meaning of one thing into another just with a twitch of his mouth. Amazing. Still love watching him even if his characters stinks. I am worried that after seeing Rango and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and now this movie that I hope he isn't get too relaxed with his career because I still think Depp has so much more to show us.

Angelina. Sorry gal but I still don't get it. I don't get how someone can be the exact same character for over a decade and still be considered an A-Lister. Same characters over and over again with the same look and that same little smirk. You can act, I know you can...or at least you could but I need you to act again because I do want to like you but I cannot. Seeing you in Salt was upsetting and now this saddens me...you gave me a glimmer though in this one, don't let me down.

The action was less than impressive especially because you can't really have a high speed chase on narrow water ways in Venice with old, classic wood boats. Or at least you didn't go very fast in this movie. The gun scenes were not impressive. Also, worst and most obvious use of green screen that I have seen over the last few years. Kind of shameful at some parts...

But. Alas...the golden of golden, my favourite, Paul Bettany. Thank you my quickly-becoming-my-favourite-actor man! It was great to see you in a serious and realistic role again, although you were still good in bad movies that weren't your fault like Legion and Inkheart but you are so good in good movies like The Young Victoria. Please continue with the making of more movies. I like you.

Okay. So, slight acting hiccups aside with additional bad action scenes tossed about yet some comical aid and a not so surprising end means this movies is mediocre at best. I liked it because I like watching Depp and Bettany on screen. I liked it because I was shocked when Jolie gave me a glimmer of hope now and again. I liked it because I was tired and looking to be entertained and I was. Other than that, it really isn't anything astounding.

3.2/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...