Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oceans (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

A documentary looking at a world we have yet to understand and really appreciate: the oceans.

I grew up watching National Geographic. I pride myself in knowing a lot about nature and the animals and plants on this planet. Just when you think you know it all another movie comes out and as you watch it you find yourself mouth open in awe of the beauty and oddity that exists in this world. This documentary achieved just that; I thought I could see nothing new but they proved me wrong. Even animals that I thought I could write the wikipedia page on them from memory alone left me breathless while watching this movie. I loved every minute of it.

I think I've watched months worth of specials on wild cats and polar bears and rainforests, but it seems like very recently film makers are taking the plunge and focusing more and more on water. Even over the last 5 years there have been groundbreaking and heart wrenching documentaries that have brought outrage and tears to mankind. There doesn't seem to be any sign of filmmakers stopping when it comes to the world below the shore line, and although this movie may not make you want to sign a petition, I thought it was well done (especially good for kids/families).

I'm not going to lie, I laughed a little when I saw that Pierce Brosnan was the narrator, but he did a great job.

I'm a sucker for nature flicks so obviously I liked it but I thought they showed too many things that I had already known. They did dragged me back in when they tossed in shots of animals I have never heard of before but over all I was more entertained than stunned.

The music was really good though, that was a surprise.

And that person swimming with the great white...that shit was CRAZY. I think I gasped and held my hand over my mouth. That was a really cool idea.

3.5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...