Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thor (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

"The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders." (imdb)

I was looking forward to this movie since I saw the first teaser months and months ago. I thought in my mind that it would be delicious cheese with action and a small amount of chuckles. When it opened everyone told me how amazing it was and how I was going to love it etc etc...I wish now that I had stuck with my original expectations. Not that the movie was bad, no not at all, but I felt like I expected a little more than anyone else and didn't get all I wanted. C'est la vie.

I loved Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I really did. I'm not sure I could picture anyone else in the roll now that he's solidified his awesomeness by being an awesome Thor. In all honesty, he was my favourite part of the movie. There was something about him that caught my attention and never let it go (and it's not just because he's good looking, I'm talking talent here...shock). I feel like without Chris this movie would have been less than impressive.

Natalie Portman (Your Highness, No Strings Attached, Black Swan)...love her, but she wasn't anything special in this movie. Same goes for the brilliant Anthony Hopkins. It was great to see him in all his shiny armor and God-like power...but it didn't do all that much for me and for the movie over all.

I am an action junky so I generally always want and need more action but I really wanted more action in this movie. When it was there it was fantastic and there were some cool moves/scenes in this movie that made me vocalize my excitement in the theatre. I just...wanted more fighting, especially from Thor. That being said, it was still amazing as a pre-summer action flick. The 3D leaves something to be desired but it definitely enhanced the fights.

I started to get bored with the whole 'love' story that they tried to make between Thor and Portman's character. It wasn't believable but it also tipped the balance of action and emotion just a little too far to the emotion side of things. I suppose it's hard to make a character relatable without an emotional connection but I feel like they put just a little bit too much into their relationship and the side-line characters associated with that.

Biggest let down: Thor's companions. I just...what?!

Also, I did not like the costumes. I thought the mix of alien to Gods ended up just looking too fake and cheesie to me. More armor, less...ness.

For me I guess I just wasn't overly impressed or stunned by anything. I still loved watching this movie and would suggest everyone to head to theatres to see it, especially if you like action/mythical/nerdy flicks. Just go in there thinking it will be okay and maybe you will leave more impressed than I was.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...