Sunday, May 29, 2011

Water For Elephants (4)



(Watch the Trailer)

I thought about watching this movie since I first saw previews for it ages ago but for some reason I lost interest over time. I had heard that it was okay or pretty good or some people told me they enjoyed it but there wasn't much excitement there.

Maybe it was because I was expecting something mediocre or maybe the story itself appealed to me more than anyone else I had spoken with about this film but I really liked it. I enjoyed every minute of it. Not only was I emotionally attached to the characters but also the animals and I was completely taken over and engulfed in the story. Sure, it was based on the national bestselling novel (that I want to read now) which means the story kinda had to be good but they also could have completely effed it up...which they didn't. Hat tip.

Yes, yes, we all know Robert Pattinson has the sparkling Edward in the Twilight series, most recently in Eclipse and I know most will roll their eyes at him being the main character but I really think people should step back and allow themselves to see him in other rolls. Okay, he wasn't super impressive in Remember Me but I notice him getting better and better with each film and he was really good in this roll. I liked watching him and didn't even snort laugh at his acting once. Can't wait to see what he does next (Twilight aside).

Reese Witherspoon...I never really got her. To be honest, I don't understand why people find her lovable or anything special. She was a good match for the character but I wasn't overly impressed with anything. The only time I've really liked her was in Penelope and she didn't even have a big part. Meh.

Christoph Waltz was fantastic. I hope that guy keeps making movies because he can do no harm. Seeing him go from Inglorious Basterds to this is awesome. High fives all around.

Love this story. Loved seeing the animals and how everything panned out. I also liked how the ending wasn't what I thought it was going to be and I actually liked it. Really interesting film.

Not so much a romance as it is just a good drama with circus acts. Can't really complain about that. Really though, this is not a chick flick. I mean, there are random sappy moments but nothing groan worthy. Just a solid story.

Solid watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...