Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beginners (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer...no really, you should)

I don't really want to explain what this movie is about, the trailer gives you enough to go on but I feel like going into it without really knowing is the best way.

Ewan McGregor, you are the man. I like your style. I like your face. I like your choice in movies (well, except for The Ghost Writer, but that wasn't your fault). But seeing you in I Love You Philip Morris and Miss Potter...Just keep doing what you're doing.

Christopher Plummer. Oh boy, I'm not sure what the world is going to do with you the day you're gone. You were perfect for this role. I honestly believe that no one else could've done it like you. *mass applause*

I think I have a girl crush on Mélanie Laurent. She was fantastic. I actually found myself watching her instead of Ewan in a lot of their scenes. She has this presence that I cannot explain but there is like a magnet in her eyes and you cannot look away. I really loved her in Inglorious Basterds and I really loved her in this too so I cannot wait to see more. Please, let there be MORE!

I loved this movie because I felt connected to Ewan McGregor's character for the entirety of the film. I could relate to about 80% of the things he was feeling and saying and the other 20% was not hard to feel something towards. There were singular sentences in this movie that brought me to tears. Three times actually. I am not a big movie tear fan but I couldn't help it...one single sentence was powerful enough to make me cry. And it happened more than once. Now that is a good movie.

The story may be rough around the edges with a harsh choice on certain edits but the core emotions of the film and the characters was something that I was not really prepared for and thus the water works.

My only complaint is that at some point the story jumped around a little too much for me to be able to put my full attention to what was happening as I was busy trying to figure out when it was happening. It didn't happen enough for it to be annoying but I found it took me away from the film a couple of times.

I loved it. I enjoyed every minute of it. The ending was solid and all the parts before it were golden. The humour was witty and cute and the script along with its characters is powerful.

Big heart. Big.

ps - Best part is that damn, cute, amazing, talented dog. Love it. All of it.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...