Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Super 8 (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

A group of friends witness a horrible train accident while filming one of their indie films one night and what they catch on tape will lead them on a wild chase to find out what's really happening in their town.

I liked these kids. I was totally taken back to my childhood when watching them and I thought the casting was fantastic because their connection aka friendships were so believable. Joel Courtney who played the main boy was really good, I think he deserves a sundae and a baseball cap (okay, he's not that young, but you get the point).

The suspense was really good. They slowly showed more and more as the film progressed which kept my eye locked on the screen and my interest peaked. I'm glad that they a)took their time with the surprise b)didn't just shove the surprise in your face and c)that the film didn't stop being interesting once you knew the secret. Wonderfully done.

I know J.J. Abrams loves the whole light rays effect but I felt that it wasn't as successful in this film or needed at all for that matter. It worked wonders in the new Star Trek but it didn't seem to fit along side all the landscapes and small town night scenes. Seemed more distracting to me rather than a cool effect. That being said, that is my only complaint for Abrams, I like what he does. Jolly good show, chap.

This film was like E.T. meets The Goonies meets some crazy sci-fi thriller (don't want to spoil anything so I wont name any names). The adventure and thrills were great and the core group of friends were awesome to watch but the over all story really didn't do it for me. The gaps in the plot really solidified for me when I found myself frowning and almost wanting to laugh in a bad way at the ending. I didn't like the ending and I'm not sure I completely get what everyone's faces were really saying because I felt pieces of the puzzle were missing...but that's just me.

Solid sci-fi, thriller and fantastic adventure. Another good film by Mr. Abrams and the one and only Steven Spielberg.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...