Monday, June 13, 2011

X-Men: First Class (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

Looking at the history of X-Men before X-Men became X-Men (say that 10 times fast).

I love the X-Men. I have liked every single one of the movies (yes, even Wolverine). I am not sure why but I find the core of the story really hits home for me...also, mutants and powers are cool. 'Nough said.

I had been looking forward to this movie for a very long time. This film seemed to take it's sweet time coming out and I had to see it. Maybe it was because I was really hoping for something special, the same sort of feeling the first X-Men movie gave me, but regardless I felt like this film was missing something. Not sure what. Maybe bits of the story or a couple of the characters didn't seem interesting at all. Maybe it was the fact that it was the first of many so they needed to lay down a lot of story and I was looking for more epic action. Anyways, I still liked it.

Loved the choice of James McAvoy (Penelope, The Last Station) for Xavier and Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds) for Eric aka Magneto. They were the best part about this movie and although my love for McAvoy runs deep I really felt that Fassbender was the strongest in this film. Really enjoyed watching him and I hope to see him popping up in more films asap.

The action was no all I was hoping for. It wasn't boring, actually the entire movie kept a very solid pace that made the entire movie enjoyable but there was something missing. I needed more pow. A few of the characters didn't impress me and I'm not sure if that was because of the acting or because they were overshadowed by my interest in the characters I already knew from the previous films...who knows.

So besides the fact that it wasn't all I hoped for I had fun watching this movie and thought it was really interesting in terms of knowing the history of certain characters and getting to know them better. They could take this story just about anywhere now and I'm excited to see where they go.

Bonus: Kevin Bacon. Badass. Oh, and Oliver Platt. Niiiice.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...