Sunday, July 10, 2011

Australia (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

"Set in northern Australia before World War II, an English aristocrat who inherits a sprawling ranch reluctantly pacts with a stock-man in order to protect her new property from a takeover plot. As the pair drive 2,000 head of cattle over unforgiving landscape, they experience the bombing of Darwin, Australia, by Japanese forces firsthand." (imdb)

Hugh Jackman, you make everything okay. You really do. No matter the movie or the character I am stuck to you from start to finish. I honestly cannot NOT look at him when he is on the screen...it's like my eyes are magnets and, well, you get the picture. That aside he really did impress me in this movie. There were a lot of emotional scenes and his character had the biggest transitions within the film and you could really feel them and notice the change within him. Really cool. Love that man, he was easily the best part of this movie.

Nicole Kidman (Just Go With It), I know I've never really liked you. I don't really know why except that I always feel like you're playing the exact same characters in every movie (or at least majority of them) and I have never felt emotional moved when watching you on screen. It's just...dead space for some reason and I want to be connected to her but it just has yet to happen. She is awesome at what she does but it's always missing the spark for me. *shrugs*

I had no idea that this even happened in Australia in WWII, I really didn't know. I am a little upset that I didn't but I am glad that I have some idea of the countries hardships during that time. While this movie showed me a little bit of what was happening I felt that they tried too hard to fit too many stories and important historic moments into one film. They tried to do the war thing but then focused too much on the romance side but then went back to look at the aboriginals and cattle but then would flip between them all way too frequently with what seemed like large time gaps. Anyways, it didn't flow right because of that and my ability to understand every side of the story was damaged by the way the story jumped around.

They tried to make the transitions easier with the narration bit but for some reason I found it distracting coming from the kid...like the story, the entire movie, was really about him in the end yet they didn't spend all that much time on him. It was a weird balance that obviously didn't work the way it could or should have but alas, you can't win 'em all.

The movie was beautiful and the general story was entertaining and informative but I felt they tried too hard to make this epic, war, romance film and just made the plot all messy because of it which caused me the viewer to feel disconnected to any character for long periods of time.

I did cry though. There are some heavy scenes and it was late and I just felt like crying so I did, but I can ultimately blame Hugh for that. Thanks Hugh, you sexy magnet you.

3.5/5

3 comments:

  1. You might enjoy reading the blog article I wrote on <a href="http://jdurward.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-my-own-grandpa.html>Australia</a>. It was a movie that should have been great. Hugh Jackman saves it from failure because he always makes every movie he is in better, but it should have been a great for the ages epic and missed and I am so sorry it did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the link didn't publish correctly. I'll try it here again http://jdurward.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-my-own-grandpa.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I agree completely, that the movie could've been such an epic film but it just didn't make it. Thank you for posting that link, I read the post and it is really interesting. Of course Hollywood decided on a sexy young man for the Drover and of course the history is never covered as it should be at least it brings up the history of Australia so us fact finders can go out there and find the real dirt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...