Friday, July 29, 2011

Control (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

The true story of Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division, before he takes his life at the age of 23.

I wouldn't necessarily say I am a fan of Joy Division but I have always liked their music so I was interested in this story. It seemed so tragic and I always love learning about rock bands from the 60s and 70s.

While I was watching I was really into the movie. I enjoyed that it was filmed in black and white, I thought that added a nice extra touch of dismal vibes while also adding some cool cinematography via awesome use of shadows.

I know this is going to sound rude but I just need to say it, I honestly don't really understand why he killed himself. I know that his life was messed up and he suffered seizures but I'm not sure if he suffered more in real life and the film really didn't capture it well enough or if for Ian his life was the worst it could be. Not saying he couldn't justify it...I just, didn't feel as sad as I should have because his life didn't seem that bad. Sorry. Just what I thought.

Sam Riley who played Curtis was good, I think it was his voice too for some of the live stuff in the movie and I think he did a solid job. I never knew what Ian Curtis looked like on stage but he successfully showed his awkwardness. I swear, any man who can sing can be as awkward a dancer and ugly in the face and girls will still dig him. haha Funny.

Okay. The movie was great while I was watching it and if I had written this review right after watching it I would've given it an east 4/5...but the more I think about it the more forgettable of a movie it seems. Not sure why, I just am slowly become less and less impressed with it. Meh.

I also don't understand the last shot. And why it was there for so long. I just...there keeps being more and more that I don't understand. I did like the story though and the music.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...