Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

The beginning of it all.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this movie. The trailers looked promising and I liked the fact that James Franco was going to be in it but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the original, I mean I really like it, but it was not up in my top 10 movies lists.

I was surprised by how much I liked this film. It was fantastic. The graphics are out of this world and the story was really great. I was into this movie 100% of the time and I was sad when it was over. Cannot wait for another one which I hear whispers that there will be one, they definitely left it wide open for more and I hope that happens.

I like James Franco (Eat Pray Love, 127 Hours) and he was good in this movie but I wasn't as impressed as I normally am. Not sure why, it could've been because all the focus is really on the apes, especially Caeser, and you really start to root for them and want them to break out of their cages...but I think it also had to do with the fact that most of the time he had the same expression on his face. Yes, his character didn't leave a lot of room for growth or screen time to develop to an audience, but it was still less than impressive.

I was shocked by how attached I became to Caesar. They did an astounding job creating him and absorbing you into his life and you legitimately feel compassion and sympathy for him. Andy Serkis, you amaze me. Your face is pure awesome. Crazy. I really was excited when he would escape or learn something new...they had me hooked. Damn you Caesar!

It was strangely a really great action movie. I was right there with every movement and when things really started to go down my heart was racing and I was anticipating the next scene or line or what have you. Fantastic...I was really surprised by that. Happy surprises!

I really don't know what else to say, I enjoyed every minute of this movie and have nothing to really complain about. John Lithgow was a nice extra touch and as usual I enjoyed watching him. Also, Tom Felton aka Draco was in this movie for awhile and it's always exciting to see anyone from Harry Potter in other roles.

Just. Awesome. Solid cinema. One of the best so far this summer.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...