Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Men Who Stare at Goats (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

At first this movie just seems too weird. You don't really know what to think of it: is it a serious drama, a dark comedy, a movie about war or fear...but once you realize that it is all of the above and is supposed to be taken at face value you really relax and go along for the ride.

I LOVED Ewan McGregor (Beginners, I Love You Philip Morris) in this movie. He was great as a sort of unsung could be hero and he transitioned really well from weak and sad to strong and independent. He has always been one of my favourites and I always like to see what he is up to next. I thought he did funny really well in this movie. Keep at it Ewan, I like your stuff.

I have always been a little on the fence about George Clooney (The American). I respect him and have enjoyed him in a lot of movies but for some reason I find/found that he can act the same in a bunch of films instead of really absorbing the characters as much as I want to see. Or maybe that's just his style or the way a director steers him towards. Regardless, I really enjoyed him in this role and he did weird and funny SO SO well that I was utterly impressed. He makes me want to watch this movie all the time. I liked him even more than I did Ewan and that's a big big deal. Just sayin'. I am re-interested in what Clooney has to offer.

Jeff Bridges can do no wrong (True Grit, TRON). Proven once again in this movie. I also loved Kevin Spacey (Horrible Bosses) as the weird/evil character. That mustache...good God, make it stop. haha

The story seems crazy but once you start getting into the thick of it you really get sucked into what's going on. The topic is something that I've always been interested in - I enjoy the paranormal and the whole psychic/mind powers possibilities. This movie was great as a quick intro to some things that seem too far fetched but can be scientifically proven and researched professionally. I liked that they weren't afraid to cover a story like this and I thought the comedy really help people over look the seemingly weird and accept the unacceptable.

Needless to say, I really liked this movie and will buy it when I see it next. It's a new favourite comedy for sure and I think everyone should give it a chance. The first time it seems weird and funny but if you watch it again you will see the story, characters and background info even more and, hopefully, enjoy it just as much as I did (if you didn't already).

New fav.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...