Tuesday, October 11, 2011

50/50 (3.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

Inspired by true events, this comedy is about a 27 year old who finds out he has cancer and has a 50/50 chance of survival.

I absolutely heart Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Hesher, 500 Days of Summer) and all he does (as you probably know by now). This movie is no exception. This was such a personal look at cancer and what it can do to someone and I thought it played the part quite well. Although at times I wanted a little bit more I quickly realized that that was the way his character was and not until the car scene (you'll know the one) did I really see into this man. That's the thing, you do feel for him and don't want him to suffer but you also don't get a lot out of this character until the movie really gets cooking and I thought that was an interesting approach.

Seth Rogen (The Green Hornet) is someone that I was never sure about until recently and now I know I like him. He is goofy but not ridiculous (see, Will Farrell) and emotional but not stupid. I like his style of comedy and him as a person and the fact that this story was about his friend and his experiences meant that much more when you see him on the screen.

Anna Kendrick is quickly sneaking up to be one of my new favs. Okay, she was really girly like in the Twilight films, but don't hold that against her. She held her own in Up in the Air and the more I see her the more impressed I am. She was really cute in this movie and I liked her character a lot.

I thought the balance between comedy and drama was tipped more towards to drama but the comedy is good and I was laughing a bunch. I thought it was going to be more comedy so I got a bit of a surprise when it tipped the other way but it totally worked and the emotions were running high by the end. Let's just say that I wasn't the only one who was sniffing and trying to hide their tears.

One complaint is that about 3/4 the way through the movie seemed to reeeaally slow down and it was like not much was happening. It was a bit on repeat and I started to get kind of bored but I suppose that needed to happen so the ending was more intense but it brought me out of the movie for a bit which sucked.

A different way to look at the disease and some interesting characters were backed by good scenes and some great laughs. Some parts slowed too much which took away from the strength of the movie at times but I liked it.

Bonus: That damn dog.

3.5/5

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...