Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gogol Bordello Non-Stop (4.5)



(Watch the Trailer)

If you don't already know Eugene Hutz then I feel sorry for you.

Wait. Let's try that again.

If you have never heard of Gogol Bordello or their leader Eugene Hutz then you really should try your hardest to do so so your life can become more complete.

Gogol Bordello, the Gypsy Punks of the world, have been in my top 10 fav bands since I first heard them back in 2004. Their music is new, original, innovative rock with a splash of insanity that makes it impossible to not dance to and utterly possible to become obsessed with.

If their music wasn't enough for you than Eugene Hutz should fill in all blanks. He is smart, beyond talented, poops creativity and energy and eats music for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This guy knows his stuff but has not had an easy life, so while he has a thick skin, his brain hides away pumping the good juices 24/7. Delicious juices. There are so many quotable lines from his lips during this documentary and although he might look goofy to you don't let his outfits fool you.

I have been to a couple Gogol shows and the footage they include is awesome because that's what it looks like. I have never experienced a concert going experience like the one at a Gogol show. The energy is hard to describe. You can see this in the movie.

While being a fan helped in following along and understanding the fast and sometimes randomness that is this movie I think it's a great look at this fast and sometimes random band that is exploding into the world.

They also look at the underground music scene in NYC in the early 2000s and you follow the band as they go from clubs, to stage, to international fame.

I'll end this here because I could go on forever. If you like punk/rock/gypsy/international/new music and don't know them yet I suggest doing so. If you do know them and like them then you will like this documentary. Gogol aside I think this is one of my new fav music docs, next to It Might Get Loud.

Band website: http://gogolbordello.com/

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...