Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Dangerous Method (4)



(Watch the Trailer)

2011 David Cronenberg film looking at the lives of Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud and the time they spent as friends.

I am sure that everyone knows who Jung and Freud are but I doubt they know the story as it is told in this film. I was surprised by their collaborations as I only know a little about either doctors/professors but I found both of them utterly interesting and powerful. No doubt this was because of who they got to portray them.

Michael Fassbender (Hunger, Inglorious Basterds) is quickly becoming a face that everyone should know and appreciate. There is something magnetic and strong about this man and he is beautiful and talented when he becomes his characters. I found his performance to be powerful and complicated but I think he did a great job being Jung.

Viggo Mortensen as Freud. Yes please. I was looking forward to him in this movie and he nailed it. He really did. Never a disappointment that man, high five to you Viggo. Also, I don't think Freud was as good looking as you with that beard and cigar...just sayin.

This is the first time in a long time that I actually thought Keira Knightley (Never Let Me Go) could act/was talented. She owned in this movie. She really did an amazing job and I hate to say it but her character was the most complex but she seemed to flow into the role with ease and power. Really amazing transformation and it was refreshing to see.

If you like psychology/social sciences, the work of Jung and/or Freud or any of the actors mentioned above I high suggest seeing this film. Even if your interests are not peaked by those things I suggest watching this movie when you want a drama with some intelligent conversations and strong performances.

Good movie. A little sidetracked at times I found and it didn't focus on what I really wanted to see but that's not what the script was made for. Still, solid flick.

Bonus: Vincent Cassel (Irreversible)

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...