Monday, November 14, 2011

The Rite (3)



(Watch the Trailer)

2011 horror film by Mikael Håfström about a young man who is training to be a priest but questioning his faith and attends an exorcism course in Italy.

I thought this movie was going to be really cheesy and lame but I like exorcism movies and Anthony Hopkins so I thought I would give it a shot.

Turns out that not only was this movie scary, interesting and full of Anthony Hopkins but that the cheese factor and lameness I was expecting was not fully there. Yes, there were some funny moments where the movie was flawed but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Also, Hopkins was classic Hopkins and he was awesome as the main exorcist priest guy. He kicks some solid ass. Fact.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Colin O'Donoghue who played the young priest. His character was all right but I didn't feel sold on his performance. Some scenes were better than others but I felt like he was too much of a pretty boy and every emotion was forced. Although, I suppose it was hard to not seem that way next to Hopkins.

This movie isn't terrifying but the scares are more scary images. I liked the story but it's another book to film type movie so the stories are usually bearable. I'd like to read the book to see how American they made it.

While this film was forgotten by most I suggest it to those who enjoy a good exorcism/demon/scary film. It would ruin your sleep but it's interesting and Hopkins is in it. Win.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...